Sunday, September 23, 2012

Trying to be polite!

    
Guess the building


It's not rocket science to guess this one








Panorama of part of Market



As a letter carrier I try to be as polite as possible. Saying the normal like excuse me, sorry, have a nice day etc...  But, there are times you have to be a little forward to certain people because, of their rudeness. Most of the time it has to do with people blocking the doors to your delivery.
     For instance: I was entering a somewhat crowded restaraunt. I said " Excuse me" as I worked my way in. When I approached the last person I said the same "excuse me". No movement or acknowledgement. I said it again and nothing. Finally, loud enough for everyone to hear I said it again and the man finally moved. The problem was he shifted just slightly and it wasn't enough for me and my full satchel to get through. I went ahead and got by but, as I did  my loaded satchel bumped the man. He turns and says "excuse me!" I returned and said "maybe next time you will move when I say it three times! I have a job to do!" And on the way back from the counter when I said it the man moved right away.
     Another time I was delivering to Wegmans and I have to go behind the service desk to get the mail. A woman was blocking the door to the counter. I said "excuse me" several times. I finally  reached for the door handle, as I did the woman stepped back and I brushed her behind with my hand. She turns and in a obnoxious voice says" HOW DARE YOU!"  I looked at her and said " I wouldn't have dared if you would have moved out of the way when I had asked you!" She was still sputtering as I left. The next day the cashiers behind the counter said she wanted my name to report me and they told her that I tried to get her attention and she ignored me. After she had left they all started laughing. It's nice to know I have my customers for backup!



             I get this kind of thing every day. I have tourists bumping into me on the street as I am as close to the building as I can get. I get passed by cars in my truck because, they think I am parked, when in fact I was stopping at a cross walk for a pedestrian. Even when I am crossing in the cross walks,I get cars that don't stop when I am in the middle of the street. If I see their window down as they pass I yell" THANKS FOR STOPPING". It gets their attention every time!!





     

No comments:

Post a Comment